Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU), Comprehensive Master Plan
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Client: Tennessee Board of Regents
To facilitate the development of a Comprehensive Campus Master Plan for MTSU, assessment of existing facilities and systems was required along with the development of new programming and facilities, and a systems strategy for the growth of the campus to 25,000 full-time students.
A master plan team was assembled to conduct the planning and assessment necessary. Dober, Lidsky, Craig and Associates, Inc. led the team while Lose & Associates, Inc., along with I C Thomasson Associates and R. W. Beck, Inc., provided specific systems and facility assessment.
Lose & Associates developed the base map for use by all design team members by combining the information from existing campus maps and the new campus topographic survey. All building roads, parking lots, sidewalks, individual trees and tree groupings, sports fields, plazas and other existing items were included on the base sheet along with overhead and underground utility systems. Lose team members also developed drawings that identified:
- Categories of landscape and open space areas
- Areas to be preserved in their current condition
- Outdoor-use areas with programmed functions
- New quadrangles and outdoor plazas
- Athletic and recreation fields
- Existing and proposed parking areas
- Roads, major campus nodes and entry features
- New program items such as greenways or trails
- Pedestrian and vehicular patterns with parking use; and, land-use assessment and land ownership